Thursday, August 12, 2010

"Chunk of original earth found"



Scientists have just discovered some rocks that have been around for billions of years at the Baffin islands in northern Canada.. The rocks haven't  been mixed by any plate tectonics.
Chunk of original earth found

This just confuses me! How can this survive for so long? Isn't there a cycle for rocks? It must be really thick for it to survive this long. I am also surprised that its still on the surface, even if it survived so long I would expect it to be hidden underground.

2 comments:

  1. this is a cool story and i enjoyed the link.... from what I can gather it's a piece of the earth's original mantle ... They didn't mention how this managed not to be disturbed by plate tectonics and glaciers etc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first comment =)

    Ya that's what I thought too, how could it be undisturbed for so long, so there must be another factor in play, or they might be more common than we think, and there might be more of these remnants from old earth around the globe.

    Thanks again for posting =)

    ReplyDelete